Apr 16, 2014

Guiness Porter in Hobart - 1868?

As I've sifted through Tasmanian newspaper advertisements from the 19th century I've seen plenty of names I'm familiar with: Truman, Whitbread, Barclay Perkins, Allsopp and several more. There are also a bunch of names I've not recognised which isn't shocking, there were plenty of breweries and I'm new to this beer history thing.

The Mercury, 13 November, 1868

So I didn't think much of it when I came across ads for Blood, Wolfe & Co choice porter. Well, beyond thinking they were obviously a vampire law firm as well as a brewery.

Later on I did a bit of searching to see who they were and what they brewed. It turns out that they brewed nothing. Here's an interesting little snippet:

From Guinness: The 250 Year Quest for the Perfect Pint

So it looks like the same thing was happening in Australia, bottling a beer from the barrel and selling it off as their own. I wonder how many other names I've come across are just the names of the people who bottled/exported the beer? The paragraph goes on to talk about how in Adelaide they were brewing a pretty ordinary stout and then selling it as Guinness. Classy move, Adelaide.

I managed to find references to Guinness being sold in Hobart in the 1890s so I guess they'd managed to sort things out by then.

I wonder why the Allsopp beers mentioned in the same advertisement didn't get the same rebranding treatment?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...