May 21, 2012

Upgrades

Lots of people use a fridge or chest freezer with a temperature controller to keep their beer fermenting at the right temperature. I would like to be one of those people too but I haven't been able to figure out how to fit one into our house.

However, since from May to September Tasmania is a natural fridge, all I really needed for now was a way of heating my fermenters to the right temperature, nature can take care of any cooling needs.

Temp controller at work as my 100% Brett Brown happily ferments
I managed to pick up a heating pad and a cheap but awesome temperature controller of a guy from the AHB forum, hooked it all up and now my beer is happy at around 19'C instead of the 14-15'C it would be at without heating. The temp probe is stuck to the side of the fermenter and insulated from the air with some wetsuit material.

Hopefully by September I'll be able to work something out with a chest freezer. Kids don't really need bedrooms, right? In the meantime, this is a big step up and should mean better beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...