May 7, 2012

Brewday: 100% Brett Brown Ale

It's taken me ages to get there but I've finally managed to get a 100% brett fermented beer underway. Because it's a world I'm unfamiliar with I adapted a recipe from the Ryan Brews blog. It should be malty and give plenty of room for the yeast to shine.

Packet of goodness
This beer was also fun because I used my home made brown malt for the first time. It's had a few weeks to de-gas so it should be spot on now. It definitely added plenty of colour to the wort, in the fermenter it looks like it's going to be red-black. I'm looking forward to seeing how it tastes.

Recipe:
11.5 litre batch
OG: 1.058
IBU: 23

2.5kg Pale malt
250g Brown malt
200g Acidulated malt
125g Crystal 120ebc
20g Carafa Special III

10g Citra hops @ 60 minutes

The yeast is WY5526 Brettanomyces Lambicus. From what I've read it should give a fruity, black cherry aroma and flavour to the beer.

Brett Brown looking good in the fermenter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...