Apr 15, 2012

Tasting: Belgian Saison aka Pale Ale

Bron brewed this one for me and she did a great job! It started out being intended as a Pale Ale but I ended up using WY3725 so it turned out more along the lines of a Saison.

Bultman's Reserve

Aroma: Light aroma, yeast and a slightly sour tang. Some hop aroma as it warms slightly.

Appearance: Cloudy yellow with a pillowy white head. Some lacing down the glass.

Flavour: The aroma carries over to the taste. There's a pleasant tartness from the yeast and a mild hop flavour. The bitterness is present but not overwhelming. It lingers on the palate in a pleasant way. I'm attributing this to the first wort hopping. The malt backing could be stronger and I'd like the hop flavour and aroma to be a bit bigger, especially since it's morphed into a Saison.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied. Dry. Medium carbonation.

Overall: Refreshing and pleasant. It's a pretty subtle beer, something of a departure for me. If I brewed it again I might mash it a little higher and definitely hop it a bit more too. Still, it's a really pleasant beer and I think it's a good start to the Reserve. Now I've got to get going for the next couple of releases.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...